Friday, January 14, 2011

It is what it is.

First of all, Kara and I would like to apologize for being a day late. Things have been crazy, and we just now have the opportunity to catch all of you up on our latest adventures. Yesterday (Thursday) was our last day working in the clinic and the school. We were also able to enjoy a great home-cooked meal thanks to some of the women from Victory Chapel Church of the Nazarene.

Nursing experience
thursday was such a sad day for everyone because we knew that this was our last day at the clinic. We saw about 100 people again at the clinic, however they were much more spread out throughout the day so the day was much slower than the other days have been. We were able to help many more people today which was awesome! we have already had some many people asking us if we would come back next year and i think that it is unanimous that we all want to come back very soon!! What we had left over in medications we were able to leave at the church with the pastor to distribute to fomilies in need in the future. we were also able to leave behind some bandages with the doctor to use in his practice. The team also collected clothes that we did not want to take home and donate them to the church as well to pass out to the community. All of the people that we met this week have made such an impact in all of our lives and we hope that we were able to make as much of an impact on them as they have on us.

Kara


morgan taking a child's temperature

Joni checking vitals on a little Haitian patient

Michelle taking some time to teach the kids "go fish"

Final Day:
It was a sad day at Oakes Field Primary School. We were all excited to see the students again, but all day we knew (and so did the kids) that it was going to be our last day there. Every student wanted to know our email address, home address, or Facebook name so that they could keep in touch.

For me, Thursday was definitely the day I was stretched the furthest. My teacher, Mrs. Kemp, asked me which subject I wanted to teach that day. It definitely caught me off guard especially since I have no training to be a teacher. I taught a lesson on multiplying and dividing fractions, and it was a totally new experience for me. I also graded papers, for which Mrs. Kemp told me I could grade any way I wished. It was definitely a learning experience.

The kids hated to see us leave, and we hated to leave them but it was time for us to go.

- Matt


Eating our delicious dinner

Frankie, Beth, and Steph leading us all in song

Group photo
Including Mike Shinn (Director), Pastor Antoine and Pastor Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment